Showcase beautiful, shapely legs!
A thigh lift, or “thighplasty,” is a surgery to remove excess skin and fat from the legs. The procedure removes loose, hanging skin and fat of the thighs but can sometimes include areas around the knee or into the lower leg. The goal is to create a tighter, more shapely contour of your thighs. The procedure involves incisions made along the length of hanging skin and fat and may be combined with liposuction. Patients who have lost a significant amount of weight may be good candidates for a thigh lift. The best candidates are patients who are at their stable, goal weight and with good underlying muscle tone.
A thigh lift is performed under general anesthesia and patients frequently go home the same day; however, an overnight stay may be required if combined with other procedures. The scars can be variable and unpredictable in appearance and widen or separate during the healing process. Due to swelling and bruising, the final result is seen in three to six months. The results are lasting with healthy maintenance of weight.
What to Expect
Thigh Lift Pre-operative:
- The surgeons at Plastic Surgery of Westchester are well-versed in all techniques for shaping and tightening the thighs. During your pre-operative consultation, they will discuss the best options for improving the contour of your thighs.
- If you have had a weight-loss surgery, you should be at least one year out from the procedure. The best results are achieved when you are at your goal weight for approximately 3 months prior to a thigh lift.
- Please give your surgeon a list of your medications and insight into any pre-existing medical conditions (don’t forget about a history of heart or lung problems, autoimmune diseases, wound healing problems, blood clots, or bleeding disorders). They will ensure that you are medically-optimized prior to your surgery.
- Vitamins and anti-inflammatory medications (such as aspirin, Motrin®, Advil®, Aleve®, ibuprofen, etc.) should be discontinued no less than 1 week prior to surgery.
- Smoking is a contra-indication to a thigh lift procedure. We hope that you don’t smoke! Please refrain from any nicotine or tobacco use (including patches, gum, and vapor cigarettes) for no less than 4 weeks prior to and 4 weeks after your surgery. Remember, any history of smoking can increase your risk for certain complications such as wound healing problems and infection.
Thigh Lift Post-operative:
- You will be placed into a compression garment or wrap for both lower extremities immediately after surgery. You will likely also have a drainage tube for each thigh, and the drains are removed around 1 to 2 weeks after surgery. Drain removal is done in the office during one of your post-operative visits and is painless.
- Time for overall healing varies among patients but can take 2 to 3 weeks. Pain and discomfort will improve during that time. You must refrain from any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.
- For best results, you may wear your compression garment for 8 to 12 weeks.
- When you are better healed, your surgeon will discuss and demonstrate massage and scar care techniques to keep your results looking fabulous!
- As always, please bring a list of your questions and concerns to your pre-operative visits. It is important to understand your overall health and expectations in order to individualize your treatment plan.
Thigh Lift FAQs
If you have concerns over the appearance of your thighs and legs, then you are a candidate for a thigh lift or thighplasty procedure. The type of procedure (full thigh lift, limited incision thigh lift, liposuction) depends on your skin quality, amount of skin or fat excess and your overall goals. As with any elective procedure, the best patients are in good health and of stable weight prior to the procedure.
This is considered an elective, cosmetic procedure. It is unlikely for a thigh lift to be covered by insurance even if you have a history of massive weight loss.
Start by scheduling a complimentary consultation with one of our highly-skilled Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. During this visit, they will review your health and surgical history, history of weight loss, and list of medications. Please refrain from smoking and all other nicotine-containing products for at least 4 weeks prior to your desired surgery date. You must also avoid any non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory medications (aspirin, Motrin®, Advil®, Aleve®, ibuprofen, etc.) for 1 week prior to surgery. Significant weight changes should also be avoided.
For most patients, this procedure can be performed in our fully-accredited AAAASF surgical suite. You will be able to go home the same day with a chaperone. Our surgeons are affiliated with many of the area’s best hospitals in the event you prefer or it is recommended for you to have the procedure in a hospital setting.
The procedure is performed under general anesthesia. The length of the incision varies depending on the degree of skin and fat excess present. The incision is either limited to just the groin crease or upper thigh, or may extend the full length of your thigh. In some instances, liposuction is performed at the same time to further contour and shape the area.
You may experience some swelling or discomfort in the first 1 to 2 weeks. You will not be incapacitated and will be encouraged to walk and move around (with assistance) immediately after surgery. Pain medication will be prescribed. Many patients feel comfortable enough to begin tapering their use after the first week. During this time, you will also need to care for drainage tubes. The compression garment or wrap on both lower extremities stays intact until your first follow-up visit in 4 to 5 days, then may be removed when showering. You will continue to use some type of compression garment for several more weeks.
You will see an immediate improvement in the appearance and contour of your thighs. The results will continue to improve with time as the initial bruising and swelling resolve and the incisions heal. Consistent use of the compression garment or wrap can expedite the healing process. However, the incisions will take no less than 6 to 8 weeks to fully heal and up to 1 to 2 years to fade in most cases.
Your surgeon will recommend use of your compression garment for 8 to 12 weeks to reduce swelling and encourage skin tightening. Arnica, an herbal supplement sold in most health food stores, can also help reduce swelling and bruising. Once cleared to do so by their surgeon, some patients also find professional post-operative massage therapy helpful in their recovery.
Call us today at (914) 771-7373 for a FREE Thigh Lift consultation!
Our board certified plastic surgeons are happy to assist you with your specific questions and concerns.
Facilities & Hospital Affiliations
Our surgeons have privileges at White Plains Hospital, New York Presbyterian – Lawrence Hospital Center, Montefiore – New Rochelle Hospital, Westchester Medical Center, and Jacobi Medical Center. They also perform procedures in their fully accredited operating room in Harrison, NY. Our state-of-the-art facility is professionally designed and decorated for your comfort. We are always interested to know if there is anything we can do to enhance your experience. We appreciate your suggestions and pledge to work as a team to make your time here a rewarding experience.
- White Plains Hospital
- New York Presbyterian – Lawrence Hospital Center
- Montefiore – New Rochelle Hospital
- Westchester Medical Center
- Jacobi Medical Center
Accreditation and Associations
We maintain an AAAASF accredited surgical suite, equipped like a hospital operating room with the privacy and ease of an office setting, offering full general anesthesia for more complex procedures as well as sedation and local anesthesia for other procedures. We enjoy a strong relationship with some of the finest hospitals in the area, offering overnight and extended post-operative stays if medically advisable. This is ideal for our out of town patients, those with little post-operative help, or those desiring a more private recovery. We can also arrange your recovery with a nurse at a luxury hotel located within minutes of our facility.
Schedule your Thigh Lift Consultation
Please contact us with any questions or if you would like to setup a time for a one-on-one consultation with one of our surgeons.